Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Why I Donate to Charities and do Many Random Acts of Kindness

So recently, someone asked me in a DM what got me into doing stuff for charities and random acts of kindness frequently.  It was a good question that has multiple answers... but let's start off here:

1) I was extremely spoiled as a kid by my father. He gave me just about anything I wanted because being born during World War II in Hungary and growing up in it's post Communist era.. he was lucky if he got some candy and or a cheap wooden toy for Christmas or Birthdays. He wanted me to have everything he didn't have. Though in his heart he thought it was doing good... it had some negative consequences on me growing up that still affect me to this day at times.

However, my late mother who had a big heart used to fight with my father about spoiling me. She taught me about the less fortunate and how what my father was doing was wrong. She told me stories of her childhood and her drunken father who would sell his own children's things for a few bucks just to have a few beers at the bar. So in essence, I learned the value of a dollar, and I learned of the sadness and despair of others from her, despite being spoiled.

I had a best friend growing up who was very poor. He never had any money. Unknowingly to my parents, I used to give him 1/2 of my allowance money, birthday money, Christmas money, and anytime I got odd jobs like mowing lawns, shoveling snow, or raking leaves, I'd have him help me and give him half. This way he was able to do things with me and the other kids.

2) Since I left my parents nest and went out into the world, I've been pretty damn poor most of my life. But yet I still gave to those less fortunate than me if they needed it more. I gave my last $5 once to someone so they could buy some cheap ramen and Campbells soup to eat for a week. My bank was literally at $0 then until my next paycheck. But I had enough food until my next check, and a warm roof over my head. Also stuff like clothes, appliances,  household items, even computers (when i'd upgrade), I'd always try and find someone to give it to who could really use it, rather than sell it.... despite the fact that I really could've used the money because I was just barely getting by. They were worse off than me and if I could help someone, that was more important to me than money.

I'd always have  a low balance in my bank account and over-drafted many times. My dad use to yell at me and tell me I'd never save any money or have anything because I always gave everything away.

3) When it comes to music, it never was about money for me. Music is my passion. It's my sanity. I've been suffering from depression and anxiety since childhood. Music is my safe place. I had the chance to "go bigger" once with my music. I turned it down. I didn't want and still don't want my passion, and my "safe place" to become a job. Because jobs have obligations. They have timelines, people to answer to, etc. Most people don't like their job. Also, I've known many musicians who signed to big labels in the past and ended up regretting it later. My music needs to be on my terms on my conditions. The band I've been in on and off since 1994 "Shower With Goats" used to just barely make enough money for gas, and to make more merchandise. We never made any profit. I remember one specific time at one of our shows when a 14 year old kid came up to our merch table and told us how much he loved our set we had just finished playing. I thanked him graciously and asked him if he had our new CD. He said "No, I badly wish I could buy it but had just enough money to get into the show." I told him to put out his hand, and I put a CD in it, and said "This one's on me." What was more important to me is that someone wanted to have my music. I didn't want a lack of money to prevent a true fan that really appreciated my art to not be able to have it. The way his face lit up and how he thanked me endlessly... I will never forget.

Since Shower With Goats has been on hiatus since 2013 due to me living 1,000 miles apart from the other band members, and  I'm not really playing live anymore, but still recording and releasing music, I saw an opportunity to help others. That's when I decided to start donating all profit from both the back catalog of Shower With Goats and my current, solo project, "Steve and the Neurotics" to different charities. I will continue to do so as long as I am able.

4) That's the main reason I started the Kickstarter for my non-profit record label, that currently has about 20 days left. I want to release music of other bands, of all genres, and donate the profits to good charities. I want to have a proper, non-profit label that can sustain itself just enough so that what I get back that it cost me to put out one record, will sustain the cost of putting out the next record, of course with all extra money after the pressing and shipping costs going to charities. But in order to do that, I need to raise money to put ads in big magazines and websites where people will find out about the label, as well as properly register and trademark it as a legitimate non-profit entity.

Sorry for pestering you all constantly on Twitter about it, but it really is important to me because in my heart, I know it can and will help many people and many charities. In the off chance you have no idea what I'm talking about, here's the link:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/stevewithgoats/not-profit-record-label

5) As for random acts of kindness I've been doing......It pains me when I hear someone not having something important, or something they really want but can't afford. I try to help others as much as I can if I am able at the time. It makes me feel good inside. And the happiness, and smiles, and joy it brings others is worth more than a million bucks.

I'm not wealthy by any means. There's still certain times of the year where I struggle. But there is always someone worse off than me... and if I can help to bring a little bit of light into their lives I will try my damnedest to do so.

If you've actually read this entire thing, I thank you. I believe every one of you has it in your heart to help others, and if you aren't already, I hope you will do so, and continue to do so.

Much love to you all, and I hope you all have a happy holiday season filled with love and smiles.

- Steve



3 comments:

  1. You are a true inspiration. We have so much in common! Good luck with your kickstarter and all you do. It really matters 💜

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you, man. That's all I gotta say.

    ReplyDelete